13
Apr-2016

4 Simple Ways To Be A Healthy Traveler

Being on the road and in unfamiliar surroundings can cause some serious stress when it comes to eating

Staying healthy while on the road. Photo courtesy of Nutrition Stripped.

Staying healthy while on the road. Photo courtesy of Nutrition Stripped.

healthfully and staying on top of self care.

After years of traveling for work and for adventure – to places as close as Portland and San Francisco and as far away as Cambodia and Bali – I’ve zeroed in on a few things to bring and ways to be to help me stay in control of how I feel (physically and mentally) when I’m away from home… while allowing plenty of room for the lovely surprises of travel.

Check out some of my top healthy and stress-free travel tips… and ENJOY your travel adventures!

Up your game before you go. In the weeks leading up to your trip, do your best to step up your self care. Eat what your body needs (i.e., whole foods). Stick with exercise. Get enough sleep. Be good to yourself! All of that stuff that we’d love to be doing all the time but that sometimes drops off as life gets busy. Focus on shoring up your self care habits so your body is ready for anything.

Let go of control. It’s just for a while; and if you have a strong base (see #1), your body will bounce back more quickly than you think. Part of the joy of travel – for me, at least – is exploring new places via food. Make room for indulgence and new culinary adventures; otherwise, you’ll miss out on one of the great pleasures of life… FOOD!!

Follow the 90/10 Rule. Sort of the same idea as “let go of control,” but it’s helpful for some to have an actual rule to follow. Eat as well and healthfully as you can 90% of the time; save the other 10% for serendipitous yumminess. And for serious travel and culinary adventures, I’d make this more like 80/20… or maybe 70/30.

Be prepared. I’m a little bit of a control freak, particularly when it comes to self care and feeling great; so it will come as no surprise that I travel with snacks and other “self care accessories”… always. (I know I just told you to let go of control; but having just a little control can help you feel less stressed out… and that’s a good thing.)

Here are a few things you’ll find in my suitcase or carry-on on most trips:

    • Fruit and nut bars. Kit’s Organic and Larabar are my go-tos.
    • Nuts. I like almonds, but any will do for a quick, filling, and sustainable energy boost when nothing else looks edible. Try Trader Joe’s for single-serving nut packets if overindulging is a concern.
    • Whole fruit. Apples and bananas are the most portable and durable.
    • Water bottle. Staying hydrated is so, soooo important, especially when you’re traveling. It’s easy to forget and then wonder why you’re starving and/or craving sugar all the time (both side effects of dehydration).

My bottom line? Being healthy and feeling great isn’t the end game; it’s the tool I use to experience life feeling the way I want to feel.

If I skip out on life in favor of “being healthy,” then I’ve totally missed the point, don’t you think?For more healthy travel tips – including a few more “secret health weapons” I keep in my travel bag, visit my blog here.


unspecifiedLara Dalch is a health and lifestyle coach to smart, dedicated women (and a few intrepid men) – who crave practical tools for feeling vibrant, alive, and gorgeous… so they can create the life they really want. As a busy entrepreneur, Lara understands the challenges of balancing good health with a crazy schedule and is passionate about helping you harness the power of good health to fuel your ambitious life goals through a practical, “whole life” approach to health.

Get Lara‘s free guide to eating well, boosting energy, and reducing stress without bending over backwards to fit it all in.
Lara is a regular contributor to popular health and wellness website MindBodyGreen.com and has been a featured speaker at Microsoft, Flywheel Sports, the University of Virginia, and the University of California, Berkeley. She holds a B.A. in Psychology from the University of Virginia, is a Certified Pilates Instructor and received her training to practice health coaching via the State University of New York and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.
Prior to coaching busy women, Lara held various positions in marketing and promotions for Classic Media, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Comedy Central, and Wizards of the Coast (now a division of Hasbro).

0

 likes / 0 Comments

Comments are closed.

Archives

> <
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec